Monday, 16 February 2015

The Elvis - Banana and Peanut Butter Soufflé. A Rock 'n' Roll Dessert, almost!


I'm not sure exactly how this idea came to me.  I know that I was lying in bed but I'm not sure if I was in a half-dream state or just that I was thinking about food as usual!  Anyway, I think I'll let the history books document this as my 'Yesterday' moment, "it came to me in a dream"!  McCartney had his Scrambled Eggs and I have my Banana and Peanut Butter Soufflé.  Unfortunately, this is where the similarity ends!  'Yesterday' is one of the most covered songs of all time and is loved around the world; in contrast my Soufflé could do with a new arrangement!

I'm pretty sure that had I used 4 egg whites instead of 2 it would've been a hit because the flavours of the sweet caramelised banana and the salty peanut butter really worked. Alas, the banana base was too heavy for only 2 egg whites resulting in a soufflé which lacked structural integrity!  However, I'm sure Elvis would have gladly tucked into this whilst going about his business, ahem!

I plan to work on this one to get it spot on but until then here is my flawed interpretation. Feel free to fix it for me (with my current blog post frequency (last post July 5th) the chances are you'll do it before me!).

Banana and Peanut Butter Soufflé

Ingredients

For the Banana Base
25g Salted Butter
40g Light Muscovado Sugar
40g Golden Caster Sugar
250g Banana, sliced.
Squeeze of Lemon Juice
25g Peanut Butter

For the Soufflé
2 Egg Whites
Squeeze of Lemon Juice
25g Golden Caster Sugar


Method

1.  For the Banana base, melt the butter in a frying pan, add the sugars and stir until a dark caramel.  Add banana stirring to coat in the caramel.  Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.
2.  Place mixture in a blender, add the peanut butter and blitz.  Place in a bowl, cover and set aside until cooled, then chill until needed.
3.  Butter 2 ramekins and coat with caster sugar.  Place in fridge to chill.
4.  For the Soufflé,  place a baking tray in the oven and preheat oven to 190C.  Place 2 Egg Whites into a clean, dry bowl and add a couple of drops of lemon juice.  Whisk until approaching soft peaks; gradually add the 25g of caster sugar until just at stiff peaks.
5.  Vigorously beat a third of the egg white mixture into the banana base to loosen, then gently fold in the remaining two thirds.
6.  Half fill your ramekins with the soufflé mixture and then bang the base of the ramekin on a folded tea towel to ensure the mixture is totally filling the base of the ramekin.  Fill up with remaining mixture until they are slightly over-full.
7.  Using a palette knife, level the excess mixture from the top of the ramekin.  Run your thumb around the outside of the ramekin to ensure the mixture doesn't stick to the edge.  Clean the outside of the ramekin.
8.  Place ramekins on the pre-heated baking tray and cook for 18-20 minutes until the soufflé is golden brown and risen.
9.  Remove from the oven, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.

It's good to be back blogging even if my return is not quite as successful as I'd hoped! Sometimes the failures are more important than the successes!  That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

FoodandFrets


3 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Much to my chagrin, I'm yet to ever make a souffle. Perhaps this Will be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Much to my chagrin, I'm yet to ever make a souffle. Perhaps this Will be the one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers! The recipe needs fixing so I'd be more than happy for you to do the hard work for me!

    ReplyDelete